Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Making money off my junk

I'm usually fairly disciplined when it comes to not spending money, but every once in a while I have a shopping binge, where I go a bit crazy. This doesn't happen more than every few months, and usually isn't too bad. Well, I had a crazy shopping period in January, when all the stores discounted all the stock that didn't sell at Christmas time.

My weakness this time was video games. I enjoy playing console and PC games, and started following a few discount sites, including Cheap Ass Gamer. Spending while saving is some kind of weird addiction for me, and visiting sites such as CAG make it even harder to not buy stuff. When you know that you're getting a $50 game for $3, it almost doesn't even seem like spending.

I was walking around the house, and noticed that a stack of the stuff I bought was still just sitting there, unopened and unplayed. And I finally got fed up with myself for buying it. So I did something about it.

I listed them on Half.com.

Most of them are listed for more than what I paid for them. I like the way Half.com works more than eBay for things like this, since I know it will sell eventually, but that it may take a few months to get what I want for it.

If everything sells for what I listed it for, I should get more than $400 for it. It's a good feeling to be getting it out of the house, and getting paid for getting rid of stuff I'd probably never use anyway. Now I just need to keep finding more stuff to sell. And maybe next time, I just won't buy stuff I'm not going to use in the first place.

1 comment:

Karan Singh said...

hahaha.. great..thanks for sharing!
finance guest post