Sunday, April 09, 2006

Reevaluating

Something happened last weekend that made me seriously reevaluate the way I feel and think about a lot of things. It made me really question why I do a lot of the things I do. One of the outcomes was the selling of a bunch of old stuff on Half.com.

But it's also made me just stop and wonder why people in general do what they do. Why do people buy what they do? And why do some people save as much as they do? I honestly believe that there exist two extremes, and that there are people at both ends. Of course, it seems like there are more people that currently spend more than they earn in a year, but there are also people who have lived their whole lives as if they were broke, just to leave millions behind when they die. (One recent example that I read about was Hetty Green over at Boston Gal's Open Wallet.)

I suppose I've always had an interest in how other people do things, how they live, how they think, etc. Reading other people's blogs gives me an insight into how they think and feel. It also helps point out areas where I may not have even realized my own behavior, and helps show me the things that I may want to change about myself.

I'm not really sure what will end up happening, but I've noticed that over the past week, just stopping and thinking has resulted in me spending a lot less, being more polite to others, and just being more aware in general. I question things that I may before have just accepted without even thinking. I wonder how many people are experiencing the exact same thing right now. Because even though I may think I'm the only one, I know that's not true.

No comments: