Monday, February 19, 2007

Fantastically Free Fun

As someone interested in keeping my expenses to a minimum, I'm always looking for different forms of cheap entertainment. Many of my favorite activities are completely free. Some of the things that I do on an average week are:
  • Visit a library. My local library system allows residents of other libraries to use their resources for free. I have two excellent libraries near me that usually have books in stock that were just released and have community service events that can range from talks on heart health to showing a movie that just came out on DVD.
  • Find people who also enjoy free fun. I've recently started joining a few Meetup groups.
    Some of the activities can cost money (movies, plays, dining out, etc) but many are completely free (boardgames, workout, discussions, etc.)
  • Hang out with friends. I have a group of friends who get together a few times a week to watch movies, play boardgames and videogames, and just have fun. Each person usually brings a few things that they already own, so we usually don't spend any money.
  • Browse the internet. I enjoy reading other people's finance blogs, I visit FatWallet, SlickDeals, CheapAssGamer, and just generally surf around reading and learning new things.
There are tons of other things out there to do that cost nothing, and there is no way I could list them all. So when you get bored, don't just head out to a movie or the mall. Next time you could try volunteering with a charity you support, communing with nature, exercising outdoors, playing a game with some friends, or simply reading a good book.

No comments: