Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Taking Inventory

I'm a self proclaimed packrat. I've been this way as long as I can remember. When I was a little kid, I had a room full of "stuff." Now I'm an adult, and I have a condo full of "stuff." Some of this "stuff" doesn't really matter to me, some of it is expensive, and some of it is irreplaceable.

I just re-evaluated all of my insurance coverages, and was reminded that I need to take an inventory of everything that I would replaced in case of emergency. Since I have so many things, I'm trying to go through everything and donate or sell the things I no longer need. Once I'm done, I intend to take a full inventory of what I'm keeping.

My plan is to do the following:
Create a spreadsheet of any belonging worth more than $25.
Take digital pictures of all items in the spreadsheet.
Burn two CDs containing all the pictures and spreadsheet, storing one in my fire safe box in my home and keeping the second in a safety deposit box.

As part of this, I also need to look into getting a safety deposit box. I also need to make backups of any important documents and keep a copy in the safety deposit box as well.

No comments: